Select Your Language
English (United Kingdom)Español(Spanish Formal International)
or Call Us: 0.808.238.7540
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rogers Reading Room
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
general chat

TOPIC: Rogers Reading Room

Re: Rogers Reading Room 2 years, 5 months ago #4947

• vino
  • Platinum Boarder
I've finished Paulo Coelho's brilliant book The Witch of Portobello. It was fabulous, inspiring and a joy to read. I'd seriously recommend it.

The_Witch_of_Portobello.jpg

How do we find the courage to be true to ourselves - even if we are unsure of who we are? That is the central question posed by Paulo Coelho's, The Witch of Portobello. It is story of a mysterious young woman born in Romania, raised in Beirut and living in London. Her life is told by the many who knew her well - or hardly at all.

I've just started Veronika Decides to Die another by Coelho. I'll keep you posted xxxxxx
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by vino. Reason: Added last sentence
The following user(s) said Thank You: CH MARIE

Re: Rogers Reading Room 2 years, 5 months ago #4950

• CH JOSH
  • Expert Boarder
I stated reading Veronika decides to Die, but I have to stop because I had to read "The Lord of the Flies" for a college project once I finish this I will continue reading Paulo Coelho

Re: Rogers Reading Room 2 years, 5 months ago #4954

• vino
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Josh I'm pleased you're putting your studies first lol, there's time for reading for pleasure later xxxxxxxxxx

Re: Rogers Reading Room 2 years, 5 months ago #4971

• CH MARIE
  • Platinum Boarder
“After all, what is happiness? Love, they tell me. But love doesn't bring and never has brought happiness. On the contrary, it's a constant state of anxiety, a battlefield; it's sleepless nights, asking ourselves all the time if we're doing the right thing. Real love is composed of ecstasy and agony.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Witch Of Portobello

The following user(s) said Thank You: vino

Re: Rogers Reading Room 2 years, 4 months ago #5141

• vino
  • Platinum Boarder
My most treasured book is An Open Heart by The Dalai Lama, it has truly changed my way of thinking and my life. I keep this book close always, the words are easy, however, it's the putting into practise and being that's hard. It's an inspiring and wonderful book.

51a4wxitsL._BO2204203200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-clickTopRight35-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_DalaiLamaAnOpenHeart.jpg

COMPASSION--SYMPATHY FOR THE suffering of others and the desire to free them from it--is wrestled with in all spiritual traditions. Yet how does one actually become a compassionate person? What are the mechanisms by which a selfish heart is transformed into a generous heart?
When His Holiness the Dalai Lama came to New York City in 1999, he spoke simply and powerfully on the everyday Buddhist practice of compassion. Weaving together the contents of three sacred texts-- one by the eighth-century Indian master Kamalashila, another by the fourteenth-century Tibetan Togmay Sangpo, and a third by the eleventh-century sage Langri Tangpa--His Holiness showed that the path to compassion is a series of meditations. An Open Heart lays out this course of meditation, from the simplest to the most challenging, describing the mental training techniques that will enable anyone of any faith to change their minds and open their hearts. In this book the path begins with simple and clear ruminations on the advantages of a virtuous life and moves on to practices that can temper destructive and impulsive emotions. Such practices can be undertaken at odd moments of the day, at once transforming the aimless or anxious mind into a disciplined and open mind. Gradually, the book introduces the more challenging and sustained meditation practices. In these meditations the deepest and most profound insights of Buddhist practice become part of one's way of knowing and experiencing the world.

An Open Heart is a clear and simple introduction to the Buddhist path to enlightenment, by its greatest teacher, His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Re: Rogers Reading Room 2 years, 4 months ago #5595

• CH MARIE
  • Platinum Boarder
I have not read it yet... however I have read some good reviews about it ...

Fifty Shades of Grey is a 2011 erotic novel by British author E. L. James. Set largely in Seattle, it is the first instalment in a trilogy that traces the deepening relationship between a college graduate, Anastasia Steele, and a young business magnate, Christian Grey. It is notable for its explicitly erotic scenes featuring elements of BDSM.
The second and third volumes are titled Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed, respectively. Fifty Shades of Grey has topped best-seller lists in the US, the UK and around the world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vino
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds